Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Power of the Soft and Cuddly



Back in February I realized that while I sat and talked with the residents about their lives before they came to Assisted Living many of them mentioned loyal companions that stayed by their sides.... their dogs. Some of the pets had passed on, others had been passed on to their children and were brought by the home for regular visits. Either way, I realized how important some cuddly interaction would be for the residents.

Here comes in puppiesforrent.com. A website started by BYU students to allow local college students to rent puppies since they aren't allowed in most apartments and dorms. Well, I took their wonderful idea and just expanded their target market by a few years. I contacted them and asked if they would be willing to rent a puppy to us for an hour a week for Puppy Therapy. The company has been wonderful, and I highly recommend them to anyone who would like to rent something cute and cuddly for an hour to a few hours.

It's been a few months now and we're going strong. I can't believe the joy I see in the residents faces when I hand them the puppy to hold. We've had all different puppies come from the playful to the extra sleepy, they've loved them all. One of my residents, who has a small difficulty with her vision, exclaims  every time I place a puppy in her lap, "Oh it's alive!" She assumes I'm putting a stuffed animal in her lap, but much to her surprise the puppies are alive and want to play!

These puppies have been a blessing to our homes. I have loved every minute they've been with us, and I know the residents do too. Check out some photos below of our wonderful residents cuddled up with our new furry friends.








No comments:

Post a Comment